[icon-discuss] Re: some questions

  • From: Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:40:32 -0500

Hi Kevin.  Below is your message with my inserted responses to your
questions.

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:17:16 -0800, kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
How long does the battery last on stand by e.g. the icon never fully shuts
off.

I've never had the Icon in "off" (standby) long enough to tell for sure,
but the battery life is quite awesome.  I do a lot of reading with it
using a headphone and only use the WIFI connection briefly and have been
able to keep things going for at least 3 or 4 days...perhaps even more.

What's using the console mode like? I know it's not supported, but it is
there and some people will use it.

It's a bit stripped down, but works very well.  You can use it a bit
with the Braille keypad input mode, but it is a bit tedious and doesn't
always do what one might think.  Some key combinations I discovered on
my own (guess work).  Using a USB keyboard or ssh is recommended for
now.

What external keyboards have some of you used with the icon, USB or
bluetooth?

I've used one of those roll-up USB keyboards with mine and it works
quite well.  I'd love to try a bluetooth one at some point, but I don't
know of a way to get bluetooth running on the Icon.

How often does the icon truly crash so you have to reboot it? I'm guessing
the taskmanager probably solves most lock ups.

With the first release of the software that I had access to (0.9.0),
things were a little unstable in some areas and I had to reset mine a
couple of times.  I wouldn't consider this an annoyance, though, because
it only happened a couple of times.  Now, with 0.9.2, I can't think of a
time I've had to reset it other than for my own reasons.  The task
manager does take care of most application lock-ups.

This is actually my second consideration of the Icon, but this time I
think I'm hooked

I cannot say enough about the Icon.  It is an awesome product and has
turned me on to betters ways of aggregating information and managing my
personal goings-on.  Furthermore, I am an avid Linux user and find the
fact that it runs on Linux even more appealing.

If you decide to get one, I have very little doubt in my mind you will
regret it.

Best regards,

--
Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>