[icon-discuss] Re: To Icon, or to Braille+, that is the question

  • From: "Jenny Axler" <jaxler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:02:56 -0800

As far as software is concerned, both units are exactly the same, the only differences are physical.

The braille Plus has the Braille keyboard running along the left and right sides as previously described, that is, when it is placed in the position in which Icon is normally used. The normal Icon keypad is still there, reduced in size a little, in the center. To Braille on the unit, you turn the Braille Plus 90 degrees clock wise, so it gives you the advantage of entering data and navigating with the Braille keyboard as you would do with most notetakers, or using the Icon-style keypad as you would have previously. That right there is really the main difference. As far as size is concerned, the braille Plus is boxier. Icon is slightly narrower at the bottom than at the top. Braille Plus is exactly rectangular. It's edges are also square rather than rounded as they are on Icon. Otherwise they are the same. All connections and controls on the sides are found in the exact same spot, and the keypad in the center is laid out just like Icon's keypad, though a bit smaller.

Hope this helps,
Jenny

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terrence van Ettinger" <terrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>