[icon-discuss] Re: Interesting Idea

  • From: Michael McCarty <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:11:52 -0400

One thing to remember, especially for the Braille+ is that we sell these to
schools for student use. I'd hate to be the tech who had to fool with passwords
and all the changes kids could make to the various units, what a headache!

Having been in computer repair and recycling, I can tell you that one of the
most aggravating aspect of customer service and tech support is the
introduction of a password on the CMOS or operating system of a computer.
People tend to forget their passwords, or enter spaces or other symbols that
are impossible to guess. I know that's the purpose of a password, but when
someone tells you that the password is dog and they leave off the fact that
they put a tilda at the end, it can really be aggravating.  We used to throw
entire motherboards away because we couldn't get into the CMOS because of a
password.

Now, I'm not saying that your idea is a bad one, what I might ask is could we
password protect a folder or group of folders instead of the entire system?