[icon-discuss] Re: Connecting icon to wireless network

  • From: Christopher Moore <christopher.h.moore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:28:38 -0500

Success! I think Jason hit upon the answer.  When you input a key on the
Icon, it needs to be in hexadecimal.
My Westell Router allows me to input the keys in ascii.  Before you can
input ito the Icon you need to convert it to hex digits.  a 64-bit wep
key would be five ascii characters.  Here's the output of a python
command I ran on the Icon to convert "hello" (a possible WEP key) to
hex.

Script started on Sun Feb 25 20:03:12 2007
w1gm@riley:~$ ssh root@icon
root@icon's password:
root@icon:~$ python
Python 2.4.3 (#2, Dec  1 2006, 11:54:25)
[GCC 3.4.4] on linux2
>>> "hello".encode("hex")
'68656c6c6f'

root@icon:~$ exit
Connection to icon closed.

w1gm@riley:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun Feb 25 20:11:27 2007

I'll be able to sleep better tonight knowing that someone won't be
sitting outside my house using my unsecured network <grin>.

Chris