[icon-discuss] Re: Connecting icon to wireless network

  • From: Clarence Whaley <clarence.whaley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:07:10 -0600

Got it.  Back to my old Xenix and Unix days.  Thanks.

At 09:27 AM 2/24/2007 -0600, you wrote:
I think mac and ip address should be in the status. For now, you can go to the console 67 from the application menu, log in Michael, i'm not sure if i should give username and password. I had to phone Michael for it. from the prompt type From the prompt type iwconfig. It will tell you a bunch of stuff about your wireless interface and your connection if there is one.
iwconfig tells you about wireless interfaces and ifconfig about wired ones.
there's another simular command iwlist that tells you information about access points the device can see, kind of like the wireless control pannel except extra info like the frequency of the signal and other things.
these commands are native to linux so you can use them on any linux machine.
Kevin