[ian-reeds-games] Re: A big response email

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:04:03 -0700

Hi Allan,

I understand where you're coming from. As you say there will be some divide. And even the idea of me needing to support both points out that I will not have quite as much time to devote to creating new flags.

You said: it is inevitable that scripting would overshadow eventually the non programmers. I say: Yes, scripting will allow for some map creators to create features I have not yet gotten around to doing in a user friendly way.
So it is like a feature that only some people can take advantage of.
My hope is that scripts would be shared so that everyone can benefit from them. Say for instance that Carlos writes a script that makes a skill do drain life the way he thinks it should be done. I would hope that things can be setup nicely enough that you as a non programmer can copy his script and paste it into your map pack without needing to understand his code at all. Then in your skill file you would add a flag like perform=drain_life which would call his code and the rest is not for you to worry about. Carlos would be using the same perform=drain_life flag so it should be easy enough to look at his flag and determine how to make it work in your own maps.

Will that be the reality? I can't say for certain, obviously if scripters set out with this goal in mind it will help things.
And you can believe that it is the goal I set out with.

Here is the starting paragraph from the map scripting guide I had started on: Before I delve into how to write scripts in Tactical Battle, I'd like to clarify that this ability is not needed to make awesome maps.
It is meant only for very advanced situations and can be difficult to learn.
The flags and the basic files formats allows for so much flexibility in a much simpler fashion that leaves the ugly coding to me. It is always a better idea to see if what you want can be accomplished through the normal use of flags. Another way to think of it is that the flags are features that I have implemented in a user friendly way whereas scripting is a way for you to try to implement features yourself.
// end of user guide snippet

Here's one more note to let you know how important it is for me to continue to support non programmers in a first class way.

I've released 2 audio games. One is AGE and one is TB. Now they are in different genres and that may account for a bit of the difference in popularity. AGE requires heavy scripting though it has some ease of use for defining locations and objects.
TB has been almost completely script free up to this point.

I've had only 2 people who started writing adventures in AGE. I've had a lot more people working on map packs for TB.

To me this shows the benefit of having an easy way to make maps versus scripting.

Well, I believe I will still move forward with the feature and I hope this email makes you feel a little more at ease or at least confirms that I do understand your point of view and don't want to exclude non programmers from making maps or let them only have the bones of the scripters meals.

All the best,