[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:28:10 -0400

Michael Phipps wrote:
That's a nice piece of history to know. :-D I am sure that any other such stories would be appreciated. :-)

I suspect that the reasons for the Focus Shaft were investor driven. I would
guess that
Be could have been a decent little 20 or 30 million dollar per year business,
but they
had too much investor money and the investors wanted to "swing for the fences".

I'm absolutely sure of that as well, but I still think it was a mistake to ignore our core user-base, and the new users we had just seduced... ;) But, I wasn't a policy maker, and those that were didn't want to change their minds. If any other stories come to me at an appropriate moment, I'll be sure to spam the list again... ;)
To summarize my wandering thought process, I think it would be a mistake to try to target Haiku at the mobile market, though supporting it (provided sufficient developer time) is a good idea. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a mobile distro of Haiku if the appropriate architecture is supported, perhaps it could even become an official distribution at some point.

I think that is the idea. I have a Win Mobile 5 phone and I have often
fantasized about
having Haiku on it. :-) I *know* that DW would never support the idea of
ditching the desktop
in favor of mobile. On the other hand, I would love to play with a distro with a version of the App Server that *didn't* support windowing but was something like Ion3 on X. Not as the main or supported branch, necessarily, but I think
that it would be interesting.

I think that would be interesting as well. Of course, I would also like to see Haiku and/or other operating systems support some of X's "exotic" capabilities as well. I love being able to ssh into a Linux box with X forwarding enabled, and being able to start apps there and have them accessible locally along with my other applications.
Of course, now with the Intel Nano processors in the market, mobile computing doesn't necessarily mean mostly ARM any more.

I wonder how long it will be before Win Mobile is focused on Nano...

We can only hope that MS makes a focus shift to it, and drives themselves out of business... ;-)

Raymond