[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:08:03 -0400

That's a nice piece of history to know. :-D I am sure that any other such
stories
would be appreciated. :-)

I suspect that the reasons for the Focus Shaft were investor driven. I would
guess that
Be could have been a decent little 20 or 30 million dollar per year business,
but they
had too much investor money and the investors wanted to "swing for the fences".

> To summarize my wandering thought process, I think it would be a mistake
> to try to target Haiku at the mobile market, though supporting it
> (provided sufficient developer time) is a good idea. There's nothing
> stopping anyone from making a mobile distro of Haiku if the appropriate
> architecture is supported, perhaps it could even become an official
> distribution at some point.

I think that is the idea. I have a Win Mobile 5 phone and I have often
fantasized about
having Haiku on it. :-) I *know* that DW would never support the idea of
ditching the desktop
in favor of mobile.

On the other hand, I would love to play with a distro with a version of the App
Server that *didn't* support
windowing but was something like Ion3 on X. Not as the main or supported
branch, necessarily, but I think
that it would be interesting.

> Of course, now with the Intel Nano processors in the market, mobile
> computing doesn't necessarily mean mostly ARM any more.

I wonder how long it will be before Win Mobile is focused on Nano...