[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V8 #104

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:21:01 +0200 CEST

> > To summarize my wandering thought process, I think it would be a
> > mistake
> > to try to target Haiku at the mobile market, though supporting it
> > (provided sufficient developer time) is a good idea. There's
> > nothing
> > stopping anyone from making a mobile distro of Haiku if the
> > appropriate
> > architecture is supported, perhaps it could even become an official
> > distribution at some point.
>
> I think that is the idea. I have a Win Mobile 5 phone and I have
> often
>  fantasized about
> having Haiku on it. :-) I *know* that DW would never support the idea
>  of ditching the desktop
> in favor of mobile.

Haiku is modular enough to be able to support both without having to
trade off desktop features.

> On the other hand, I would love to play with a distro with a version
> of
>  the App Server that *didn't* support
> windowing but was something like Ion3 on X. Not as the main or
> supported
>  branch, necessarily, but I think
> that it would be interesting.

That can be done with a custom decorator.
It would just maximize resizable windows for ex.
It could also implement some custom protocol to be able to manipulate
windows from the deskbar to integrate close buttons and others inside
it like was seen on some linux shots.

> > Of course, now with the Intel Nano processors in the market, mobile
> > computing doesn't necessarily mean mostly ARM any more.
>
> I wonder how long it will be before Win Mobile is focused on Nano...

Oh well...
I wish I could spend EUR330 on an OpenMoko FreeRunner ;)

François.