[openbeos] Re: [haiku-development] Coordinating ports (#2) (was: Re: Distributed Version Control Tools)

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:50:38 +0200

Am 22.04.2008 um 01:02 schrieb François Revol:

somehow contrary to what François has listed, Ingo (or was it
Axel?) has specifically asked not to base Haiku ports on BeOS ports
because some workarounds may no longer be necessary. Thus, searching
for BONE or R5 ports on BeBits should not be a high priority on the
checklist.

Some of them aren't needed, but others are still required (like
stripping out -lm from makefiles...).
That doesn't mean you should get the patch and replace beos with haiku
blindly.
But read it, and try to understand why things are here, and if they are
still needed might save you some time.

Sure, but from what you and Michael are saying I get the impression we are talking of different kinds of porting. I am not talking about creating new Be API frontends or adding new cool features like Michael or you have been. I am trying to get some very basic command line tools and libraries ported, mostly for Haiku self-hosting; and for tackling -lm I don't need your slides or any old patches, that's fairly trivial and straightforward.

Also I should point out that your slide concerning "getpass" no longer applies since it seems implemented in libbsd while not included in the headers (yet). We should put together up-to-date information, and a Wiki seems most suited for that purpose. I didn't need to add any autoconf macros for the ports I've touched so far, most issues have been due to stuff missing in Haiku or even required avoiding BeOS #ifdef's.

Therefore, first compiling out-of-the-box, then fixing obvious issues myself and where that doesn't work out search for information doesn't seem like a bad order of priorities or time investment either.

Andreas