[openbeos] Re: [haiku-development] Coordinating ports (#2) (was: Re: Distributed Version Control Tools)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:34:52 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Better than just announcing finished ports, the real way of avoiding
> duplicated work would be to announce the beginnings of a port.

Yes I agree, we are a limited community and should combine efforts as
much as possible. But I do thank all of you for working on Git :)

> That was the whole point that this list pointed me to the BePorts project.
> I have since then updated large parts of the site, logging pretty much
> everything I have done so far and publishing my patches in its SVN. Other
> than that I'm only aware of Ingo's ports in Haiku's SVN, of Ryan's WebKit
> port and the OpenJDK port.

Hmmm, there might be more hidden away. If anyone else if working on a
port please make it known.

> a) When someone starts a port, please announce it, so that a Wiki page on
> BePorts can be set up, linking to external pages or tracking
> progress/patches there. This could be on the BePorts mailing list or on the
> OpenBeOS mailing list (since usually it's not directly related to Haiku
> development).
>  //www.freelists.org/list/openbeos
>  //www.freelists.org/list/beports
>  Or simply drop me or Brecht or Scott a line.

This definitely sounds like a good idea.

> Of course there's no obligation to finish any port started; it allows
> others to help you or pick up where you got stuck. It also facilitates
> merging necessary changes upstream.

Yes as I can attest from working on WebKit (which still is in
progress, even though a lot was done so far), it can sometimes be a
very big project to port something. So people should work together as
much as possible.

> b) How should somewhat-working ports be annouced for users to test?
> I decided not to bother this list, so I announced git on IRC; I for one do
> not seem to have permission to post blog entries on haiku-os.org. Again,
> BePorts list would be good to cc but few people would be reading it, I
> figure.

I have made you a blogger on haiku-os.org, so if you want to post
reports about your porting efforts, please do.

Regards,
Ryan