[openbeos] Re: [haiku-development] Coordinating ports (#2) (was: Re: Distributed Version Control Tools)

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:14:34 +0200

Hi again

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:42:01 +0200, Andreas Färber wrote
> But somehow contrary to what François has listed, Ingo (or was it
> Axel?) has specifically asked not to base Haiku ports on BeOS ports
> because some workarounds may no longer be necessary. Thus, searching
> for BONE or R5 ports on BeBits should not be a high priority on the
> checklist.

It depends on what kind of workarounds are necessary. If they are feature
wise, like missing POSIX stuff, AF_UNIX and the like they might very well not
be necessary for Haiku anymore (and should be removed instead of just being
blindly kept - this is what Ingo suggested). But most of the time you'll also
have some stuff done because of the compiler version (which stays the same) or
because we don't have/need some extra libraries (math library as Francois
pointed out) or there are simply native interfaces (GUI, audio, maybe
threading backends and the like). This is most of the time where the real
value of a port lays and where just ignoring these resources would be a real
waste of time and real duplicated effort. So I strongly disagree that
searching for existing ports is not a high priority. If for nothing else as to
check if the maintainer of a port is still around and might have knowledge
that is helpful, even if the original patches cannot or should not be used as
is.

Regards
Michael