[haiku] Re: Test for gsoc students

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:42:00 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:21 AM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Oliver Ruiz Dorantes <oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> In my opinion those tests should be decided by the mentor candidate.
>> They might be bugs or not, but a student should not be digging in an
>> OS area that at the end will not be the area of the OS he is not gonna
>> work. For me the best test is a student that can show me that he
>> initiated the basis of his future task. Therefore knows what is he
>> dealing with.
>>
>> Last year, I think the lack of slots made us make risky bets.
>>

> I'm not sure there are enough relatively easy to fix bugs left in
> haiku right now for all candidates :)
> And, i already fixed some last year :)
>
> (and yes, i'm planning to get involved in the program again this year :))

There's lots of easy to fix bugs, I seem to find more of them every day. ;)
There's also a handful of missing functions that could be written, one
doesn't have to search too far to locate those.  Just search for
"easy" or "todo" and you'll uncover a few of them.
As for finding project ideas, look at the open tickets and then filter
on type, and select enhancement you'll see 175 or so enhancements
listed, several of which could make for a good GSoC project... (some
of which are previous years incomplete projects?).
-scottmc