[haiku] Re: Test for gsoc students

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:11:29 +0000

Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
Hi there,

last year IIRC some students were overestimated (?) which result
in premature failure. This year, we really should start thinking about
some sort of test, like many other organization do, if we don't want
the same situation to happen again.

What do you think? Any suggestion?
TBH, I've always been of the opinion that events such as GSOC should either be undertaken by current community members who have a proven track record and good support, or nothing system critical or essential/mission critical should be undertaken by the student. This is the port Mono/JDK type territory, not "fix crash bug X in the VM" type of thing. Ultimately, if you want to take a punt, do it with something that will not hold the OS up overall.