[openbeos] Re: Stage 1 Bootloader

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:01:48 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Axel Dörfler  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

[snip]
> > the code) or in elf.
> > You get passed a pointer to a structure with parameters in one of the
>
> > registers. (memory map, command line, loaded modules, etc.)
>
> Well, as I said, I will have a look at it. If it is very similar to
> what we need and want to have, I will make it compliant, but I (myself)
>
> won't spend any time at improving GRUB to be able to load from a BFS
> partition.
> Which means that you'd have to copy the files needed to a special
> partition that GRUB can access, too, to boot with it, if you don't want
>
> to use our stage 2 boot loader. Anyway, being multiboot compliant (even
>
> if we are) won't mean that you can boot with GRUB the same way as with
>
> the native loader. BFS is one reason, the driver settings are another,
>
> and there might even be more.

Anyway I think the R5 zbeos handles parameter itself (it's responsible for
the 'boot menu' for example), it currently doesn't accept parameters from
outside I think...

Btw zbeos is still somewhat strange... in R4 it could be loaded as a Linux
kernel from LILO (just like another vmlinuz), not it can't in R5...
I suppose it's because it begins with a bootsector.

François.