[openbeos] Re: Stage 1 Bootloader

Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the kernel team page i spotted a new item: stage 1 boot loader.
> Now when
> you look on the internet you see tons of different boot loaders, each
> doing
> exactly the same thing: loading the second stage loader.

Short answer: nope :-)
That's not correct, if you would have read the description of the task
you would know that the stage 1 boot loader loads the OpenBeOS "zbeos"
equivalent from a BFS disk. Now, adding support to GRUB to be able to
load from BFS is probably more complicated than only doing a very basic
BFS loader  (though it probably have to be done in assembly, due to the
lack of 16bit real mode compilers).

> it
> probably requires modifying the boot procedure. But not using yet
> another

I will have a closer look at the multiboot standard before defining the
protocol between stage 2 and the kernel. If it's not too much work, I
would try to be compliant, just to not have to change the protocol
again in the forseeable future.

Adios...
   Axel.