[openbeos] Re: Ruby 1.9 will no longer supports Beos unless a maintainer steps forward before Sept 25th.

  • From: Olivier Coursière <olivier.coursiere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:30:37 +0200

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I will continue fixing the remaining issues in the next weeks. I will
also take a look a native thread implementation under BeOS (but low
priority for me).

There're very little advantages of BeOS threads over pthreads. Particularly when you're porting stuff, I'd recommend using pthreads, since the ported project will most likely already have well-tested pthreads support and the Haiku port will keep a smaller footprint (== less to maintain). If there are problems with Haiku's pthreads or missing features that make trouble, we can fix them in Haiku.

CU, Ingo

It is my opinion too. I was thinking about a native implementation only under BeOS as pthread under BeOS is far from complete. And probably no one want to invest time in it. I will just take a fresh look at what i have started last year at my previous attempt to see if i can get something working. But as i am not a thread expert, it would probably never work... And as said earlier, it is a low priority project for me.

For Haiku, i use pthread. The only two missing functions were :
- sched_yield
- pthread_attr_setinheritsched (used with PTHREAD_INHERIT_SCHED)

I forgot to mention them in my previous post. I have defined the native_sched_yield macro to nothing instead of sched_yield and commented out the pthread_attr_setinheritsched call under Haiku. It seems to work well.

Olivier