[openbeos] Re: Ruby 1.9 will no longer supports Beos unless a maintainer steps forward before Sept 25th.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:54:04 +0200

On 2008-08-03 at 21:29:52 [+0200], Olivier Coursière
<olivier.coursiere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here are some news from the front !
>
> In the past few days, i have successfully compiled ruby 1.9 under Haiku.
> Still remains 3 bugs in the test suite, and networking does not work yet
> (but should as it works with my ruby 1.8 patch).
>
> I have open a feature request in the ruby bug tracker with my current
> patch to ask for Haiku support
> (http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/403).
>
> I choose to do this instead of sending a mail to the ruby-lang mailing
> list because :
>  - bugs and requests are forwarded to the ruby-core mailing list (the
> developer's one)
>  - ruby-lang mailing list has too much traffic to track discussions

Great news!

> I will continue fixing the remaining issues in the next weeks. I will
> also take a look a native thread implementation under BeOS (but low
> priority for me).

There're very little advantages of BeOS threads over pthreads. Particularly
when you're porting stuff, I'd recommend using pthreads, since the ported
project will most likely already have well-tested pthreads support and the
Haiku port will keep a smaller footprint (== less to maintain). If there
are problems with Haiku's pthreads or missing features that make trouble,
we can fix them in Haiku.

CU, Ingo