[openbeos] Re: Ruby 1.9 will no longer supports Beos unless a maintainer steps forward before Sept 25th.

  • From: "Ben Allen" <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:09:17 -0500

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM, datatec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<datatec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I saw this the other day and though I would post a bit of it here.
>
> I am assuming that in this case beos/haiku is the same.
>
> I don't really have a lot of knowledge in this area but am suspecting that
> becoming supported again later would be a lot more
> difficult then finding a maintainer before it was dropped.
>

> Really loved BEOS, and recently have been learning Ruby so would love to be
> able to use both in the future.

> Ruby 1.9.0-3 is released
> From: "Yugui (Yuki Sonoda)" <yugui yugui.jp>
>

> == Platforms
> Ruby 1.9 no longer supports the following platforms because they have no
> active maintainer.
> * BeOS
> * WinCE
> * OS/2
> * Interix
> * bcc32
> * Classic MacOS
> * djgpp
> * VMS
> * human68k
>

> I will remove platform-specific codes for them from Ruby, unless someone
> become a maintainer by 25 Sep.
>
> Regards,
>
> - --
> Yugui <yugui / yugui.jp>
> http://yugui.jp
>

> Full original post:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/309172
>

> datatec

I love the Ruby language and I'd hate to see official support for it
die.  IIRC the BeOS port hasn't been maintained in a while due to some
non-standard socket stuff, so I doubt current versions can be built on
BeOS. Haiku, however, may be a completely different story (I should
give it a try this weekend).  Does anyone know what all is involved
with being an "official" maintainer?

I'm assuming that they are referring to the BeOS build and would treat
Haiku as a separate platform.  Hopefully they will add Haiku as a
supported platform, but I doubt they would do so before Haiku is
released.

-Ben