[haiku] Re: Open sourcing SoundPlay?

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:07:48 +0200

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Aßmus писал 21.09.2012 10:13:
As you point out yourself, a video player shares functionality with
an audio player. So when you have two separate tools, by your own
definition, you waste resources because of redundant functionality
implemented in both applications. It's wasted on your harddrive and it
most certainly is as soon as you pause the audio player to watch a
video in the other, separate video tool...

Somebody already spent the most significant resource he ever has - the time of his life to implement separate audio player. Comparing to this waste - some extra megabytes on my drive is nothing. But I understand your point and could agree with it. See below for my point, please.

The physical big spoon is unable to adopt itself to your needs.

I remember in the Army we have to adopted all our eating needs to "big spoons". ;-) Well, associative thinking is weak, you are right.

What MediaPlayer lacks is

The problem with stock applications is that everybody looks on you and have it's own meaning about your ideas and solutions. Starting, for example, easy feature discussion can put you into the swamp of endless e-mailings and explanations. Frankly speaking, I do not understand "yet another player" idea too, but, may be Gerasim has intention to make something innovative that can be later "upstreamed". Let see. Anyway he doesn't borrow time from the Media Player development because he doesn't "sign" to do it.

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski