[openbeos] Re: "One Hour for Haiku" - Coordinating Voluntary Cash Donors

  • From: Simon Porter <hailstorm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:35:40 +0000

Hi Koki,Correct me if I'm wrong, Haiku Inc = Micheal Phipps. I am guessing only
he has access to figures such as how much donations has been received and also
what it has been spent on. I did see that there are financial statements for
2004 and 2005. This information could potentially be presented in a more easily
digestible format. Would it be possible to have access to such information on a
more regular basis?

If that is possible then maybe the next step is to set goals/budget like you
mentioned.

Regards,

Simon

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:50:02 -0700> From: koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
> openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [openbeos] Re: "One Hour for Haiku" -
> Coordinating Voluntary Cash Donors> > Hi Czeslaw,> > Czeslaw Czapla wrote:> >
> But it would be a mistake to pose these various elaborations as > >
> *prerequisites* to implementation of a simple membership donation > > program
> like One Hour for Haiku. I must argue that it would be more > > useful to
> think -- contrariwise -- of the membership donation program > > as part of a
> *foundation* that could ultimately permit greater > > organizational
> capabilities and maturity through improved financial > > wherewithal.> >
> There is already have a *foundation* and it's called Haiku Inc. I am > just
> pointing out that this is the one entity that should have been > driving this
> kind of effort.> > > Keeping it simple, what I am proposing is really just an
> addition to > > the Haiku website. > > You can surely keep it simple as you
> propose. However, if you want to > make a *meaningful* difference in terms of
> funding (and then more), then > you need to do something more involved.> >
> People are willing to donate, but they do want see their contributions >
> translate into tangible results (or at least results that they can > relate
> to). You should start with having some sort of yearly > *operational budget*
> (so to call it), with a breakdown of the different > areas that require
> funding (admin, legal, advocacy, development, etc.), > specific goals for the
> year (ie., move website/Trac to dedicated server, > trademark Haiku logo(s),
> hold WC07 in Europe, exhibit at XXX Expo and > YYY Conference, sponsor
> development workshop, hire X number of for X > months, etc. etc.), and target
> numbers for each area that people can > donate against. A donation drive can
> be announced, and scale showing how > much has been raised so far against the
> total target could be shown in > the website front page. Finally, for
> transparency purposes, you need > some sort of periodic financial reporting
> showing where the money has > actually been spent.> > As a desirable side
> effect, the above exercise would also help project > some sort of direction
> of where Haiku is headed as a project (not the > OS), making it more
> compelling by inspiring the sort of confidence that > makes people more
> comfortable with entertaining the idea of making a > monetary donation that
> they consider worthy.> > All of the above can only be done with the
> *proactive* involvement of > Haiku Inc. and the endorsement of the core devs
> (admins). I realize this > is quite involved, but then, so is the work of the
> many contributors to > Haiku, and you don't see developers/etc. complaining
> because they spend > their time on Haiku. I am not a dev and I certainly
> don't speak for > them. But when I contribute to the project, I know that I
> would expect > this sort of reciprocity from the entity that I am giving the
> [...]
Try Live.com - your fast, personalized homepage with all the things you care
about in one place.
http://www.live.com/getstarted