[haiku] Re: New MediaPlayer look

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:42:24 -0700

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 05:14:26PM -0400, Justin Stressman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I realize this is a known problem, but am I just unlucky or is it
> > still happening to others?  (The old laptop is OSS, but the Dell is
> > hda, and the ICH system it uses seems to be fully recognized, according
> > to the syslog.)
>
> I've noticed this problem 2 or 3 times now in Virtualbox 3.2.8 running
> recent revisions including 38589. (The first time or two it was right
> after installing, and I thought I'd messed up the install, so I just
> reinstalled and it coincidentally worked again.)
>
> This time the sound was working and then stopped. Eventually the sound
> came back on, but it persisted through 2 restarts. I'm not sure if it
> was just an odd virtualbox bug, or the same bug you're having trouble
> with.
>
> I was playing an audio track fine, then it stopped working when I
> tried to play a video... I tried the audio that I'd just been playing,
> and it didn't work. I checked the volume etc... restarted... still
> nothing. Restarted again... still wasn't working, but then a minute
> later it just came back on again (I had the audio playing but no sound
> was coming out... then the audio suddenly resumed).

This sounds pretty much exactly what I've been experiencing on hardware,
so I doubt that it's specifically a Virtualbox thing.

I just tried scanning Trac a bit, though it's hard to find relevant
tickets because I'm not sure what to look for.  There seem to be various
tickets that could be the same problem, but it's a bit hard to tell.

I did look at the syslog 'live' at one point, and noticed that audio
buffers were being reported as *very* late -- 590 seconds, I think in
one case!

        -- Pete --