[haiku] Re: New MediaPlayer look

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:35:30 +0200

-- Stephan Assmus, on Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:23:05 +0200:
> I am glad that I receive some positive feedback on the new look. At
> first I heard from
> people who liked the old look better, which irritated me a bit, to be
> honest. ;-)

To also be honest, when I took a first look at the posted screenshot, I
too thought, "Oh nooos! The nice green divisioned sliders are gone. The
buttons are so big and pointy...". But I pretty much got over it. :)

A few things, while my exposure is still fresh, if you don't mind:

Why is the time to the right of the slider not a simple plain_font?

The slider width changes when toggling the time display. It'd be nicer
if the max. size of the time string was considered.

The distance between slider and buttons below it should be the same as
at the top between slider and menu. At the moment the slider-knob is
counted into the slider height.

The top of the slider-knob triangle doesn't point exactly to the
progress-line of the slider, but one pixel to the left of it.

It'd be nice to have some sort of scale-divisions in the slider.
Depending on the length of the clip maybe every minute, 5 minutes, 10
minutes. That may help to judge the time when scrubbing through a clip.
In general, I did like the divisions of the old MediaPlayer interface
very much.

Have you considered using a slight glassy effect in the slider (as with
BButtons) instead of the gradient? Also, I'm not sure the button labels
gain too much by being gradient filled.

The green of the old MediaPlayer interface was less flashy, which I'd
prefer. And I think, I'd like a similarly green tinted progress-slider
better...

In the "File info" window (mind the capitalization), the "Location"
could do without the "file://" and being a link to the file's folder.

Many of these points are of course a matter of taste. :)
Tell me if you'd prefer to have them as tickets, BTW.

Thanks for you great media playback improvements!
Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de