[openbeos] Re: Me, Myself, and I

  • From: "Jonathan Tarbox" <jtarbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:24:13 -0500

>About me...
>
>I'm the author of NiftyPlayer (on BeBits), and also of a thing called
>FFdecoders (though I didn't released myself, since I'm not supposed to
have
>what I have to do this :^) and I asked Be for an NDA but I think
september was
>already too late to have a chance to get one :-( )

You talking about the private header files?  If so, just protype the
functions you used and be done with it.  I really doubt it will matter
as long as the full headers aren't released.

>>     OpenDivX en/decoder - This was funny.. I completed my version of
>> this for the beta media player and found that Andreas had just
released
>> his version to the beta mailing list.  Mine supported multiple
instances
>> in the same namespace (MediaPlayer decodes all streams in one
namespace
>Maybe you mean "in the same team" ? yeah MediaPlayer opens all
instances in the
>same team, as does nplay... I had some problems too with FFDecoders...
>and teh mp3 decoder isn't thread-safe at all :-(
>hopefully the CFS ffmpeg has a new decoder :)

Didn't matter if it was in the same team, because I encapsulated the
decoder into a C++ object and thus made a new namespace within the same
team.

>Btw I'd like to see MediaPlayer's source :^)

Don't we all wish for the source..  From what I remember, it was was a
simple app really.  It relied heavily upon the media kit features for
most everything.   I never really dug to far into it, other then to
discover the top-to-bottom/bottom-to-top render flag was passed to the
Mediaplayer, but never implemented in code..  thus I had to flip the
frames manually in the decoder.

>> and the opendivx libraries use alot of globals that clashed if
multiple
>> decodes happened in the same namespace) and Andreas had a nicely
rolled
>> out RGB conversion function.. So we talked and I merged them into
one
>> project and added overlay support.  Several weeks later, little did
>> know, Andreas was hired by Be, least he made it to Palm..
>> Unfortunately, the opendivx library itself was buggy and had
problems
>> encoding certain resolution streams.  When I get a chance, I'm gonna
>> check out the latest library and see if it's any better.  Can
someone

>FFMPEG has an opendivx decoder, which seem to work quite well

The one I did was in late October of '99, never knew of any other
OpenDivX projects at the time, esp for the beta media_kit

>> from the OBOS media kit team hook me up with some API's for encoding
and
>> decoding under the new media server?
>AFAIK, even if I'm not in the media kit team, this part is left for
now, in the hope that the headers get opened, and that we could use
them.
>So we avoid defining any interface for now.

Ok, i'll continue using the same API untill a new one is implemented.

-jtarbox