[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:13:26 +1000

On 20 April 2010 16:48, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David McPaul wrote:
>>
>> The main issue with granting rights to use the trademarks is that the
>> trademark might be used in a manner that brings Haiku Inc into legal
>> trouble.
>>

> I read this argument several times in the course of this thread and I am
> really curious: what kind of legal trouble can be brought upon Haiku Inc. by
> the use if its trademarks by a third party?

There are more ways to be sued around the world than there are pebbles
on a beach :-)

If Haiku Inc grants someone the right to use the trademark and they
get sued then Haiku Inc can find themselves needing a lawyer.

Say someone decides a good way to promote Haiku and their local User
Group is by putting up Haiku posters all over town including all those
places that have "Bill stickers will be prosecuted".  Sure we think
the poster is at fault but there are some Google executives who had
better not take a holiday to Italy right now because of what someone
else did with their web site.

The best defense is to state outright what the trademark can be used
for.  (But I am not a lawyer)

--
Cheers
David