[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:44:41 -0400

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 16:32, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Outside of generating income from the use of trademarks, I personally
>> don't see an issue with a group managing themselves financially.
>> Though, I also don't see an issue with the group requesting money from
>> the NPO either.
>
> Of course it makes sense. But, reading the trademark policy RFC, I'd say
> anyone using the word "Haiku" in its name (any HUG would be) could not get
> any income, particularly the 'officially endorsed' ones. Maybe I'm wrong ?
> In this case it would mean people have to make the choice between requiring
> the money from the NPO and haiving the Haiku name, or find some other name
> in order to get its own incomes.

Eh... I can see how my wording in the drafted trademark policy
additions could've be a lot better and honestly I felt a rush to push
them to that ML. Though to be fair, it is a draft and not a working
document.

My intention is to make sure that the NPO authorizes different
groups/people for selling items with the trademarks, not to
permanently forbid it. Another is that if any money is raised on that
site, then they clearly state that the money is not going to the NPO.

In some cases, giving the go-ahead to generate income from the use of
trademarks is a wonderful thing, it helps to promote the project,
distribute goods, etc.  But this should be controlled & coordinated
with the NPO and simply not do-as-you-please.

As for website ads on Haiku's sites -- be it haiku-os.org or
haiku-os.* or anything wanting official recognition, as long as the
ads are clearly distinct from the trademarks, I don't see much of an
issue. Eg, if the ads presented questionable content, eg graphics of
an adult nature, that's when I can see an issue as it could be seen as
damaging to trademarks/brand.

--mmadia