[haiku] Re: Haiku User Groups

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:18:17 -0700

Howdy,

David McPaul wrote:
There are more ways to be sued around the world than there are pebbles
on a beach :-)

If Haiku Inc grants someone the right to use the trademark and they
get sued then Haiku Inc can find themselves needing a lawyer.

Say someone decides a good way to promote Haiku and their local User
Group is by putting up Haiku posters all over town including all those
places that have "Bill stickers will be prosecuted".  Sure we think
the poster is at fault but there are some Google executives who had
better not take a holiday to Italy right now because of what someone
else did with their web site.

I will grant you that you have a very gifted imagination, but IMHO it's more likely that I will see a UFO land in my backyard that Haiku Inc. be involved in a legal battle because of something like this. :)

The best defense is to state outright what the trademark can be used
for.  (But I am not a lawyer)

And that's exactly what the trademark policy is for. :)

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net