[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:09:31 CST

>> Once you place that code under an OpenSource license, it's no longer
under
>> your control.
>
>No, but in terms of our project before it is released to public at
>large it is in our control, and our project directions are in
>our control. It's kind of like the war on terrorism...either you're
>with us or against, and if you are against us you better fear our
>wrath.

I have to disagre with you David. And Ithamar's missing the point too.

Deej, is right. We cannot control alternate or "rogue" version from
appearing. Anyone, absolutely anyone can checkout our entire source
tree at any time. They can then proceed to make changes from minor to
major, recompile, then redistribute it as an another OS. Our license
does not prohibit this.

All we can do is promote an "official" version and a set of standards
for it. If we do it right, no one would want an alternate version. Of
course, this is all hypothetical talk at the moment, because we are a
long way away from having a source tree for a complete OS. But when we
do -- be prepared -- rip-offs will appear as sure as the sun rises.