[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: "Richard Crawford" <richardcrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:16:35 PST

>>> Once you place that code under an OpenSource license, it's no
longer
>under
>>> your control.
>>
>>No, but in terms of our project before it is released to public at
>>large it is in our control, and our project directions are in
>>our control. It's kind of like the war on terrorism...either you're
>>with us or against, and if you are against us you better fear our
>>wrath.
>
>I have to disagre with you David. And Ithamar's missing the point too.
>
>Deej, is right. We cannot control alternate or "rogue" version from
>appearing. Anyone, absolutely anyone can checkout our entire source
>tree at any time. They can then proceed to make changes from minor to
>major, recompile, then redistribute it as an another OS. Our license
>does not prohibit this.
>
>All we can do is promote an "official" version and a set of standards
>for it. If we do it right, no one would want an alternate version. Of
>course, this is all hypothetical talk at the moment, because we are a
>long way away from having a source tree for a complete OS. But when we
>do -- be prepared -- rip-offs will appear as sure as the sun rises.

        Absolutely, they will appear. And to what avail? I've always
wondered why this happens, instead of those people wanting to join in
on one project and one goal.

        Kind of like when OpenTracker was forked, right? And what did I do?
I kept the official release, because that is the "real" version. The
version that will in the long run show more progress than a quick and
dirty version.