[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:53:42 +0200

Jasse Jansson wrote:

> Yepp, lets keep control over our work.

Open Source?

> If anyone want to make a distribution, fine.

Not fine. BeOS cannot afford that - at least not at this
stage.

> But I don't like the idea that _one_ distributor shall
> have control of the "certification" process.

Unfortunately, IMHO, this is the only way forward at this
point in time, for reasons that should be well known.

> Let every distributor make their own certification rules and
> compete for their market share. Let the best man win.

Yeah right, and let all those, who (like you in OBOS)
volunteered their time and resources give in to someone who
throws a bit more money at it. It's not about the best man
then, but about the deepest pockets.

> Yepp, it will be a mess from the beginning, but I think
> that is inevitable. Give it some time (a few early distros),
> and let the best concept win.

Nice idea, but illusional, if I may say so.

> Sound competition is good, and the only way that's gonna
> happen is if the "standard" is set by someone that has _no_
> commersical interest in the outcome, only user friendliness,
> desktop uncluttering, performance and such things.

Yeah, right, think beyond the OS. The OS itself holds no
value, the apps do, and unfortunately the best apps will
only come from commerical developers, shareware or proper.

>      ...Jasse...this is still not my native language...

Neither is it mine.

Helmar