[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: glasselevator-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:09:55 -0500

Sorry for the double post on this one (for those of you on both lists),
but thought it should go to everyone involved here, as it greatly
concerns our little "love triangle" between OBOS, Glass Elevator, and
BeUnited.

> I think that this post gives me room to finally ask
> a question I have been wondering about....

There's probably a lot of folks that have been wondering these sorts of
things.

> The potential problem I see here is if apps are just
> thrown into preference panels and shipped with the
> system by default, there could easily end up a
> situation that does not have a BeOS-polished look and
> feel....

Keep that thought a tic...

> BeOS (in my opinion) should ship with as many apps as
> are available and useful, but, those apps should also
> be focused on what they do (no competing apps for
> themes bundled with the system, for example). Now,
> perhaps if you want to put them in a 3rd party folder,
> that is fine.

Other than configuration applications, OpenBeOS is not about
applications.  It's about providing the ability for others to build
applications.  For a preferences panel for media or screen, yes, it
should be provided by the OpenBeOS team.  But for things such as
theme'ing, the basis should be placed there for others to build their
own themes applications (and it's associated limitations that are in
place as well).  If OpenBeOS developers had to worry about all
the "little things", we'd never see a finished R2.  However, I will
consent that most of the "little things" are very likely to be done by
the very same people as OpenBeOS members.  Later, that will not, nor
should not need to be, the case - provided OBOS is remotely successful.

On a slight tangent, I'd also like to say that drivers should be
limited in scope by the OpenBeOS team as well.  This is not to say that
it shouldn't be worried about, but I wouldn't want to see all the devs
working on indefinites such as constant driver development.  There's
more important things to get done.  A reference platform or three
should be "supported" by OpenBeOS... more if time is available.  More
than that is a very good thing, but you all are limited in time and
energy.  Set a reference hardware platform (or a few more), and let
others fill in the rest, unless, of course there's room to do more
within OBOS, have at it.  Done with that thought.

> Just make sure that there is one and only one standard
> for, in this case, theming, installed as the system
> standard.

There should be just the basis for theming in place.  Distributors
would be the ones implementing which applications go out with a
distro.  This is Open Source, there will be distributors, and if
OpenBeOS is even remotely successful, there will be more than one,
whether we like it or not.  Which means things will be different per
distribution.  There will be that fragmentation.  You cannot stop it
with OSS.  BeOS stayed the same because it was closed.  MS controls
windows because it is closed.  Linus doesn't really have much to say
about what goes into a RedHat or SuSe distribution, does he?  The only
thing we can do as a group to prevent this in a terribly bad way is to
have an "official distribution" or certified program of sorts.

This I have discussed with many people in various areas, and this is
where we (at least I hope it's "we") see BeUnited fitting into the
OBOS/GE/BeUnited movement.  First, as a "standard setter" for things
like the UI interface and theming guidelines.  Second, as an "official
distributor" of OpenBeOS, and possibly a certifier for applications to
become "certified OBOS apps" or whatever.  Any other distributor that
wished to be "certified" with OBOS would only need to distribute with
certified applications and meet the guidelines set forth at BeUnited
(in the name of OBOS developers, obviously).

I know, you might be thinking - conflict of interest, if BeUnited is
the official distro, and then must certify other distributions.  I
suppose.  But if BeUnited and OBOS are essentially the same group, and
BeUnited controls the certification process, we can control the
fragmenting of the OS into various camps of entirely different OSes all
claiming to be OBOS.  OBOS itself could not do this, as it would be
branded a mockery of OSS, creating an OS that claims to be OpenSource,
yet directing how it should look and feel and what should be the
applications included as part of the OS (which, as I have already
stated, shouldn't be done by the OS people, IMHO).

But including applications is a necessity.  BeUnited would "bundle"
applications with the distribution, obviously.  Among other things,
I've been trying to also get ahold of some applications that are no
longer being actively developed and take over development of those
under BeUnited's name (but not necessarily as open source or free).

BeUnited would also distribute the "most pure" distribution of OBOS...
following exactly to specs and guidelines, and as close as possible to
what the developers of OBOS envision.  The OS would then be distributed
through BUGs and others in order to keep the costs of distribution
down.  All monies received for the distro would be then paid to those
that have "shares" in the distro (which is detailed and too long to
discuss here, but it involves the developers and participants,
not "shareholders" as the name suggests).

> When you start putting items in the system folder, then
> you start getting into an area where the app must be a
> polished, finished product that represents the entire
> system's way of doing things instead of just a 3rd
> parties prototype of the idea. Here, you must be very
> careful not to tread on how the OS should handle things
> like preferences.

That is only controlled by the people making the distribution.  Thus,
OBOS' name could be dragged down if anyone can do whatever they want.
An official distro is needed, as well as a certification process.  But
unless it is a essential app to the operation of the OS, it should be a
third party that does it.

> If there is not one good, thinking, intuitive group
> behind the decisions as to what ships with each version
> of the OS, then we would eventually have 2 or 6 apps
> that set "be themes" the way that 2 or 6 different
> people want the interface to look like. That would be a
> nightmare, in my opinion, to see apps just thrown into
> the OpenBeOS download without thinking about how those
> apps look with a newly installed BeOS system.

2 or 6 different apps on 3 or 12 different distros, with 33 different
default settings.  Success with OSS is a mess, if you ask me.

> I guess my main point is to remember and realize the
> difference between having a 3rd party folder included
> with the OS and having already installed apps and
> preference panels that represent BeOS as an entirety
> as a system. Let's just make sure that when the time
> comes for putting together the many versions of
> OpenBeOS that are to come that it is just as
> professional in look, feel, and functionality with
> the apps that ship with it as it has ever been.

You can only do that so far without the certification process and an
official distro that acts as the "benchmark".

> That way, OpenBeOS will not become a bloated, 40,000
> ways to do the same thing that breaks standards with
> itself and becomes confusing as to which "theming"
> application is the one to use as the system default.

Exactly my point.  If 4 of the 6 theming apps are approved by the OBOS
team and "certified" by BeUnited, there's a much greater chance of
maintaining control over the various distributions (if the OBOS devs
don't think a theming app is "good enough" or think it "breaks too many
rules to be stable" - why would a company use them in a distribution.
Only then would "rogue" distributions be the bad eggs.

> So, what do you all think? I hope that I've explained
> what I believe accurately here. If not, I may try to
> clarify. Does such a quality assurance group exist for
> OpenBeOS that decides what / when will be included?
> I'm sure the developers themselves will do a fine job
> at most of this anyway, just wondering what others may
> think.

OpenBeOS really cannot decide that.  It is the nature of OpenSource.
It has to be an entity that certifies and creates these rules and
guidelines.  Sure, this could fully be done by the OBOS team, and have
an "OBOS certified program".  But then BeUnited brings in a
certain "commercial" factor that OBOS cannot.  Closed source apps could
be distributed with the OS, CD's could be pressed and sold, groups of
developers and users could help decide on guidelines collectively,
people get paid (however small in the beginnings) for their
contributions, etc.

Does this give you a good idea of what myself, Helmar, Michael and many
others have been discussing behind the scenes (not to be secretive,
just to keep it where it belongs in order to keep things productive)?
Hope so.  :)

If anyone has a problem or question or comments with all of this, we
should take this matter up off list (or rather, on an appropriate
list), as this mailing list is not exactly the proper place for it.  ;)

Deej