[openbeos] Re: File format support in Haiku

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:11:24 +0200 CEST

Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > One goal of Haiku is to avoid major API changes from
> > the BeOS API, at least for this release.  This is especially
> > true for the Translation Kit since we

> What about the future of Haiku?  Is there ever going to come
> a point where you go through some kind of top-down inspection
> of Haiku and re-evaluate it to see if things should be done
> differently/better?  I was hoping maybe I could get some people
> involved in this aspect, but I'm getting the impression that there
> really is no desire to get people involved in something like this
> (which makes it kinda pointless to get people involved in the first
> place).

Change happens all the time, even if certain things are locked
down for now, such as API changes. Change is driven by the
people most involved, most intimate with how it all works and
most motivated to spend time implementing change.

Asking for change without making changes is guaranteed to
dissappoint anyone. I know that it can be painful not being able
to push through changes oneself.

If you can't be part of the development process of a project,
influencing it's direction, (writing code is the primary means
to do so in an open-source project, but I suppose not the only
one), you need to decide whether or not the project is going in
the right direction, and how to best spend your time. If your
vision aligns with that of Haiku, and you know people who
share it, there's no reason not to get involved. I think.

/Jonas Sundström.