[openbeos] Re: File format support in Haiku

  • From: Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:28:51 +0000

Ok, several questions....

1. Can the Translation kit be extended to handle other file categories (vector,
bitmap, raw, image editor specific formats, word processor formats, etc...).  I
assume it already handles a few of those, but not all.

2a. What does the Translation kit do when a format needs special options in the
UI?  For example, when you save a gif file, various parameters about the
compression must be set.  Does the translation kit provide the UI with these
options?
2b. Can the UI be overwritten with a custom UI by the app developer yet still
pass the options to the translation kit so the translation kit can be used for
the save process?

3a. Can the translation kit handle complex formats like word processor files?
3b. Can it convert from Word to Open Doc format?

4. Does the translation kit require including a dll into the program at compile
or is it separate from the program (and thus you can add in more file support
long after the program has been made)?

Thanks,
Kevin

From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>