[openbeos] Re: File format support in Haiku

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:10:06 -0700

On 4/5/07, Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx <Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think you should get that impression...
>
> This mailing list was chartered for current development goals.  The
future
> of the OS is discussed on the Glass Elevator Mailing List.  This is to
keep
> people here focused on a R1 milestone.  If you want to rally up new
ideas
> that would possibly define an R2 milestone... go right ahead... but do
it in
> the appropriate list.  ;)
I tried out the list.  The email never got in and it appears that the list
just turned into a spam trap.  I got spam at my email for the first time in
a long time.
Also, as I understand it, the list is not really active with any current
developers and is not really actually focusing on any work right now.  I was
hoping to actually start getting some things done.  Was I at the wrong place
or what is going on?

Thanks,
Kevin

You may have found the wrong list... I believe the list is here:

I can't actually attest to the "spam trap" issue as I don't subscribe to the
GE list myself - but you're assertion that the GE list isn't currently
"active" (with developers) is possibly true.  You should realize that many
of the developers are focused on getting R1 done currently, and it is
extremely easy to get distracted by discussions about "what might be" in the
future.  Rest assured that the GE list is being archived - there are already
many RFCs on the haiku-os.org site that have been derived from that list.

It simply may not be the right time for this discussion to take place with
some of the main developers while they are focused on other things - you can
continue to have this discussion, but it's entirely possible that you won't
get the full interactive discussion with some developers/admins that you are
expecting.

I can understand how frustrating it is when you don't obtain the level of
engagement you would like regarding ideas and discussion - but don't be
discouraged! Some things don't happen overnight :)

- Urias