[openbeos] Re: A very interesting 3D desktop prototype...

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:16:16 -0400 EDT

I'm with Jonas on this one -- lack of specs is a big hurdle, but I also
wonder what it is about an accelerated 3D desktop that is so
compelling, prettiness factor aside.

Here are some of the things that I've seen that have utilized 3D-for-
2D:

- Minimize to Dock effects (suck/genie/scale)
- Partially tranparent windows
- Minimize in Place
- Exposé window management tricks
- Vista's pick-a-window-from-the-side trick (screenshot attached)
- Swtich users with a "rotating cube" effect

Maybe it's just me, but aside from the Vista feature -- which isn't
very useful, anyway -- there doesn't seem to be a single useful feature
in the that *couldn't* be done right now. In the list, the only things
that I can see that really are useful (and not just eye candy) are
Exposé's tricks and Minimize in Place. For those not familiar, Minimize
in Place is an addon feature to OS X which takes a window and shrinks
it down to the size of an icon on the desktop and sticks the
application icon over one corner so you know what it is. This sure
beats minimizing an app to the Dock, IMO. Unless I miss my guess,
adding this feature wouldn't even require some modification to the
app_server - just Tracker! You wouldn't be able to have the live
updates to the tiny icon, but it would be possible to have a good-
looking, usable icon which didn't do this. When it comes to Exposé, the
instant desktop access (via F11) can easily be done now, and I think it
could be done by way of program similar to Minimize All. Even the
window tiling effects could be done right now, albeit with some bigtime
hacks.