[haiku] Re: "30 Days With Haiku" from LINUX FORMAT magazine

  • From: Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:01:51 +0100

François Revol wrote:
>>> Didn't read through yet, but the few things I noticed seems to
>>> imply he
>>> didn't use an alpha image with the optional packages and had to
>>> install
>>> things by himself...
>>> Hopefully when R1/alpha is out he'd like it more :)
>>>

>> Nice read. Any I got stuck at the same place: no internet. And
>> VirtualBox disallowed me to use a network share so I had been stuck.
>> No
>>

> Networking works in QEMU and vmware, there is no reason it wouldn't
> there too...
> What NIC does it emulare ?
> Or do you mean sharing files via SMB from the host ?

The only one which seemed to work has been the "Intel PRO/1000 MT
Desktop (82540EM)". All others had not been detected by the haiku at
all. But somehow I'm not sure if it even would have worked. This virtual
box on Linux seems to be broken. At last I had a hard time find a
network setting which did not immediately crash virtual box. Usually I
don't run this kind of emu layers since they are asking for more
troubles especially if not "bought" versions ( as virtual box has a free
version you can emerge... although you need to fetch the file on your
own ). Currently I set it to NAT as this seems to be the only one which
could work. That said it's the first time I work with virtual box. Did
it only since as mentioned below I'm running cutting edge hardware so
the chance of haiku running on this one is less than 1% :P

Concerning the shares that would be SMB shares since virtual box doesn't
know anything else. So it's difficult to get files into virtual box
without a working network connection.
> The alpha image does have Firefox and NetSurf IIRC.

Guess I have to check it out once again. Has been some month since I
tested it the last time.
> It's actually the best way to fix possible bugs :P

Sure but in this case you won't have a chance. With cutting edge I mean
stuff like ATI Radeon HD 4870 and alike which depends on 3rd party
drivers which simply do not exist yet for haiku nor would you be able to
provide them. Granted a free driver for Linux is in the works so maybe
somebody manages to port this one.

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland