[haiku] Re: "30 Days With Haiku" from LINUX FORMAT magazine

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:14:49 +0100

Urias McCullough schrieb:
One thing that I gathered from this article is - while the experience
was "refreshing" - it seems the author didn't necessarily take away
anything "wow!" from the experience (or at least, nothing was really
mentioned that stood out). I wonder, for example, if the reviewer had
much chance to play with live queries and meta-data. What other types
of things make Haiku stand out amongst other desktop-class OSes?
Perhaps we should emphasize these in our welcome documentation :)

That's true. Perhaps make another short page that get's an extra link on the Desktop, like "Cool Stuff", with a short explaination that the novice user should first consult more of the regular documentation, but with some direct links to the attribute tutorial (for example).

We may also want to add a paragraph or two, on a separate page of the welcome documentation perhaps, about why we think Haiku matters and what our motivation and hope is that makes us work on Haiku. This may influence the whole perception of someone who tries Haiku for the first time and makes them look out for and see/appreciate things that they may have missed otherwise.

Best regards,
-Stephan