[haiku-development] Re: xicon and executable scripts

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:51:45 -0700

I wrote:
> Well, I guess I need a bit more help than I had hoped. (:(
>
> I downloaded the latest raw image (r30629) and dd'd it (from Ubuntu)
> onto a fresh USB flash.  When I plug that into the ThinkPad, it gets
> mounted, and all the base directories seem to be there.  I copied
> over everything visible to overwrite a previously bootable Haiku partition,
> and tried to boot that.  The boot sequence hangs at the last 'Launch'(?)
> icon -- no disk activity that I can see after that.  (No problem with
> other untouched partitions.)

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.  Coming back to the problem again,
I decided to start over.  I have a working partition (r29462 Mar 9) that
I ran installer from, and recovered the damaged partition back to
working order.  I then ran installer again (rather than simply copying
as I did the first time) to put the image from the flash drive onto that
partition.  That partition remained bootable.

I then moved *all* of that partition's contents to some spare storage,
and cleaned it off completely.  Installed from the flash drive. Now
I didn't even get to the boot sequence -- just said "can't find the OS"!
So I moved the saved data back and got a working partition again.

It seems that the flash image is missing some vital stuff.  If I mount
it and look, I don't see anything in the 'beos' directory except 'etc'.
And checking the version of the kernel in the supposedly flash-installed
partition, it is still r29462!  There's nothing obvious wrong with the
image... 'Get Info' shows it to be 400MB, with 312.7 MB used (the stick
itself is 2GB).  I remember the dd operation said something like "412MB
transferred".

I'd be glad if someone else could check that image (r30629) for validity.
I'll try transferring the original zip over (I don't have a net connection
on the laptop) and expanding it in situ, but I rather expect it to be
the same.

Thanks,
                        -- Pete --