[haiku-development] Re: xicon and executable scripts

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 09:13:01 +0200 CEST

pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I copied over everything visible to overwrite a
> previously bootable Haiku partition, and tried to
> boot that.  The boot sequence hangs at the last
> 'Launch'(?) icon -- no disk activity that I can
> see after that.  (No problem with other untouched
> partitions.)

It just hangs? Not a black screen or a KDL?

See if you can press F12 and have a look around.
See what commands ready, running, ints, etc say.

If you have a serial port, a null modem cable
and another computer with a serial port you can
hook them up and see what it says.

Alternatively, press [space] very early in the
boot process to get the pre-boot menu, enable
the option for on-screen output (whatever its
called) and try to change the other available
options.

How old is that Haiku partition. Is it from before
the renaming of the beos folder? If its still got
the old partition boot code, you may need to copy
/boot/system/haiku_loader to /boot/beos/system/zbeos
to be able to boot with the old boot code. After
having booted successfully, run Haiku´s makebootable
and then remove /boot/beos/system/zbeos.

There have been issues with screens going black
after the last icon, and screens going black
during bootup. In the former case, using VESA
worked, either by selecting it from the pre-boot
menu (space!) or by simply removing the video driver,
its symlink, and accelerant, "nv" in my case, making
it fall back to VESA. (For this you need to have
write access to the partition from some other OS.)

Hope this helps. Maybe you knew all this already.

Welcome back to ~BeOS BTW! :)

Tip: #haiku on IRC, freenode network.

/Jonas.