[haiku-development] Re: moving to tuxfamily.org ?

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:44:01 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:50:54 +0200, Niels Reedijk wrote
>2008/8/13 Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> François Revol wrote:
>>>
>>> With the usual berlios issues poping up again, I wondered about a possible
>>> move to tuxfamily, they were at RMLL but I didn't have time to talk much
>>> with them.
>>> http://tuxfamily.org/
>>>
>>> I know we exceeded berlios quotas long ago, how big would the current
>>> source depot be ?
>>
>> By the way, has anyone been in contact with berlios concerning the
>> haiku-commit mailing list issue? No new message since r26891 (Aug 09).
>
> There is an open ticket in their support system. So far no news on
> that one.
>
> N.

I've added a comment to the ticket as well, but so far nothing seems to have
happened. About the original proposal of moving to another hosting provider.
There are quite a few subversion hosting possibilities that are free for open
source projects. I personally would like a hosting that doesn't have such a
yet-another-linux ring to it, as we clearly are not. From looking around these
could also be interesting for example:

Google: http://code.google.com/hosting/
dotsrc.org: http://dotsrc.org/
Assembla: http://www.assembla.com/
Code Spaces: http://www.codespaces.com/

But maybe the easiest would be to go with DreamHost. They already provide us
with free hosting for haiku-files.org and they do offer subversion hosting as
well. So maybe they would be willing to extend their service for us?

Generally I think a professional (payed-for) hosting service that is free for
non-profits would possibly be the best choice, as I would guess they have the
better infrastructure and better options in case something goes wrong. This is
not based on any experience though, as I haven't used any of the mentioned
hosting providers.

Regards
Michael