[haiku-development] Re: [gsoc2011] New File System

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 21:05:09 +0530

Hi,

Sorry for taking 5 days to respond :/

Since there's already a BFS FUSE implementation on Linux, I'm spending
time with the Haiku filesystem API instead. I have UserlandFS up and
running. I wrote a tiny add-on that merely logs things to a plain text
file.

I've also been reading about ZFS. Specifically, a set of ZFS
slides[1], the ZFS source code tour[2], the ZFS porting guide[3] and a
paper on how ZFS was ported to FreeBSD[4]. I'm also trying to get
familiar with the ZFS sources. I now have a rough idea of what porting
ZFS will entail. I might have an initial proposal ready by tomorrow.

Also, as a pre-GSoC thing, I want to write a file system that mounts
ZIP files. I have some rudimentary code ready. I have a question,
though: does an add-on like this already exist?

And finally, I've been wondering: if my project is picked, who will be
the mentor? Ingo?

Thanks!

[1] http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Community+Group+zfs/docs/zfslast.pdf
[2] http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/source