[haiku-development] Re: [gsoc2011] New File System

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:12:25 +0100

Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm Ankur Sethi, an IT student from New Delhi.

I have this strange feeling of deja vu. ;-)

> I've been reading Dominic Giampaolo's Practical File System Design With
> BFS.
> I'm currently working on a BFS implementation for Linux using FUSE. It
> doesn't
> do anything yet, but I hope to have rudimentary read only support soon.
>
> Code: http://github.com/GeneralMaximus/bfs-fuse. WARNING: nothing
> works.

You know that there's a working (though not perfect) bfs_fuse using the current
BFS sources in our repository?

> My GSoC proposal is, essentially, this: write a new filesystem for Haiku
> based
> on the current implementation of BFS. Focus on fixing the deficiencies in
> the
> current implementation before adding new features.
[...]
> Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think starting with an outdated file system, updating it with
concepts/features from other outdated file systems is a particularly good
approach. I would focus on what we need, have close look at the (still)
interesting file systems (btrfs, logfs, ZFS, Reiser4), and either fork one of
them or design a new one from the scratch with those in mind. This is a mighty
big task.

Regarding changing the file system interface, that is a necessity and
absolutely desired. E.g. we understand now that queries should not be
implemented in the file system, but rather moved to a userland service.

CU, Ingo