[haiku-development] Re: [gsoc2011] New File System

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:16:38 +0530

Hi

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> The journey is not the destination.

Very Zen :p

> Whether we end up using ZFS as Haiku's primary FS
> eventually or not, having ZFS support would be nice anyway.

That was the general opinion on the IRC channel when I brought it up.
Porting zfs is the way to go, then.

BTW, I thought Haiku as an organization was not too keen on having GPL
code in the default builds? What makes btrfs okay as a possible future
filesystem?

Diego wrote:
> I don't want to start an anti Oracle bash, at all, but I think you
> should have a look at HAMMER FS as well, it is part of the Dragonfly
> BSD project, the guys over there seem to have built up a great
> community and on top of that they are also a GSoC mentoring
> organisation, this is for sure an advantage.

I did look at HAMMER, but zfs appears more promising. I'm not too fond
of Oracle either. The tech is already out there, though, and they
can't take it back. DeadYak tells me people are still working on zfs.
It already works on the BSDs, there's a Linux FUSE implementation, and
rumors about Apple using it in OS X abound (there were even a few
developer builds with zfs support). It doesn't look like zfs is going
anywhere anytime soon :)

--
Ankur Sethi
http://uncool.in