[haiku-development] Re: click-through and AmigaOS mouse mode (patch)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:02:51 -0500

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Christian Packmann
<Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe they copied Windows behavior - try dragging the files over the
> "taskbar" entry for the target window. On Windows, this pops up & activates
> the target window; not only Explorer windows, but any kind of window. This
> enables the goodness of click-to-front-anywhere without disadvantages - you
> can control drag'n'drop operations without having to make sure your target
> is visible before starting the drag. This behavior is really smart, and I'd
> love to see this in Haiku one day.

While I learned this Windows behavior years ago and have put it to
use, I think it can be awkward and difficult to use, especially for
people like me who hide the taskbar. In that case you do not even know
where your target is on the taskbar, so while holding down the mouse
button while dragging you have to move the mouse down to first unhide
the taskbar, then find your target, then move the mouse over that,
then wait for the delay to bring that Window to front, then drop onto
the target window in the right place. It is especially awkward on the
touchpad on a laptop.

In Gnome the taskbar does not even always unhide when doing this, so
you barely have the right idea where you are going.

In both cases the wrong window is frequently brought forward.

So in my opinion this is not the ideal way to do drag and drop, though
I'll admit it is about the only choice when running most apps
fullscreen (which is generally how I run Windows and Gnome.) Another
option that at least works in Windows but not Gnome is doing Alt-Tab
while dragging and dropping. I find this pretty handy. I just tested
and this does work in Haiku (though I am not a big fan of how Ctrl-Tab
works in Haiku or BeOS.)

When you drag files onto the Deskbar they are just opened by whatever
application your drag over (if that application can open them.) I
don't know if it is worth trying to replicate the dropping onto
taskbar behavior from Windows.

Regards,
Ryan