[haiku-development] Re: click-through and AmigaOS mouse mode (patch)

"Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have noticed that tracker windows behave differently than other
> > windows.
[...]
> I always found that whole behavior a bit strange. It looks to me like
> Be first
> decided that windows needed to be active to receive any mouse events.
> Then
> later they found that awkward during use, and instead of fixing it,
> they introduced
> B_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK. Which is probably what Tracker is using.
> (Tracker
> windows are perfectly normal windows, only the desktop window uses a
> special
> window flag unavailable to regular apps, but only so it always stays
> bottommost.)
> Maybe there are cases where an application wants the user to be able
> to click
> anywhere without actually doing something to bring the window to
> front first. But
> that should have been the other way around
> (B_DO_NOT_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK).
> Maybe I am missing something, though.

Yes, in fact you do: many people (not me, though) actually like the
behaviour of being able to get a window to front by clicking on it
anywhere without having to worry about losing their selection or
triggering an unwanted action, etc.

> > I have attached the diff of the changes that I have made. It not
> > cleaned
> > up and still dumps debug info in the syslog. I simply included it
> > here
> > for who wants to give it a try.
> I've read through it and you've done a very good job of sticking to
> the coding
> style and you did the changes in all the right places. I would change
> the name
> of B_AMIGA_MOUSE mouse mode to describe the behavior though. Like
> B_NO_AUTO_FRONT_ON_ACTIVATION or something along those lines.

Definitely.

> > As for inclusion in the Haiku tree. I think the click-through
> > feature
> > will be appreciated by a lot of people. I'm not sure the same is
> > true
> > for the AmigaOS mouse mode, though. I will just hope that there are
> > some Amiga fans among the powers that be :)
> IMHO, the click through feature should just replace the old behavior,
> it's one of
> the reasons I could never use Haiku if FFM didn't exist.

While I pretty much have the same problem, I don't think we should
replace the old behaviour, we should just add a mouse mode to always
let the first click through - Brecht just removed one item from my
almost infinite TODO list :-)

Bye,
   Axel.