[haiku-development] Re: (abandoned?) OptionalPackages still awaiting rebuild or should be just drop them from alpha3?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:59:55 -0700

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:32:25PM +0200, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> Am 01.06.2011 22:18, schrieb pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> >On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 11:40:22AM +0200, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> >>
> >>And sorry if I misread the tone of your mail. ;-)
> >>
> >I think, you did, sorta...! (:-))
>
> Perhaps we can agree on "sorta"... :-) While I misunderstood what you
> meant by "waiting", you did say that OSS was useless, a waste of time
> and changing the buffer size would probably be complex. Reading again
> what I wrote to that, I think my response was pretty OK. :-)

Definitely a case of crossed wires, I think (:-)).  I was trying to
respond to Scott's query about the state of opensound, but I guess I came
off a bit more negative than I intended.  Maybe a bit conditioned by the
many months I spent trying to get (real-time) audio to work on my auich
desktop box [#7285]. (:-/)  Before your mail, I had no idea how OSS was
organized, and was not really inspired to find out.  With your pointers
it may be easier.

> >However, I think I'm going to take this opportunity to make a point
> >from the other end of the see-saw.  I've submitted a number of patches
> >and other fixes which for various reasons are vital to me, and most
> >have been completely ignored.
> >
> >#4463 Add multi-ports support to USB MIDI driver
>
> A nudge once in a while seems to help, it's been committed now.

Thank you!

> >#7182 Fixing Menu keyboard navigation
>
> Please CC me in the ticket for Interface Kit patches.

Will do.

> >#7284 auich.settings not installed
>
> Just from looking at your description, it sounds like the wrong fix to
> the problem. Why should a settings file be installed? That would
> effectively change the default settings of the driver. If you mean to
> fix the default settings, however, they should be fixed in the driver
> instead. Settings files are for when you want to have something
> different from the default settings.

You're probably right.  I assumed the file was in the source tree for
a reason, but maybe the defaults were *supposed* to be the same, but
got changed for the same reason that OSS has the giant buffer.

Which brings up the secondary question of why a large buffer prevents
sound working anyway.

Thanks for checking the other patches, too.

Cheers,
        -- Pete --