[haiku-development] Re: (abandoned?) OptionalPackages still awaiting rebuild or should be just drop them from alpha3?

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:37:57AM +0200, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > #7258 is a candidate where you wrote half of a book in the comments,
> > where I'm not really inclined to go through again, and would await
> > Ingo's (who kept up with you all the time) next comment before I'd do
> > anything ;-)
>
> To be honest I lost the motivation. The whole discussion cost me lots of time
> and since the latest patch is still not "perfect", I decided that should I
> ever feel motivated enough again, I'd take a day or two to work on the issues
> myself (I don't see that happening anytime soon though). I only skimmed
> through the patch, but it definitely contains coding style violations and is
> not complete in that it fixes all associated issues (e.g. the wrong run mode
> of the consumer). I don't recall, whether I spotted issues with the patch
> itself.

I think that mail nicely explains my frustration... (:-/)

It cost me a *hell* of a lot more time than it cost you (many months
of often demoralizing debugging).  The fact that a patch isn't "perfect"
or "complete" should not prevent it being committed, if the problem that it
addresses made the system many, many times *less* perfect!  And alpha
Haiku is certainly not "perfect"...

That you only "skimmed" the patch, and you *think* it has style violations
is not encouraging.  If there are still violations, I will fix them [I thought
I had].

The discussion in the ticket definitely got derailed by our differences
in our understanding of Performance Time, and I know we got a bit irritated
with each other, but that really has no bearing on the patch.  It is
written to work properly whatever -- and however big -- the drift is.

I'm probably alone in trying to do real-time MIDI->Audio in Haiku, so
others don't notice the long delays, or what happens when you try to
reduce them.  However, my custom build now works pretty darn well in
real time.  Something that was not at all true before.

Cheers,
        -- Pete --