[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:21:17 +0100

Hi Axel!

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:24:32 +0100 Axel DÃrfler wrote:
> > True. But it would still eliminate all CMD+cursor commands like in
> > Mail or Vision.
>
> Sure, but those happen to be open source applications that can be
> fixed.

Well, the fix would mean replacing an intuitive shortcut, CMD+cursor,
with something less intuitive.

> Out of curiosity: what is Mail doing for Command-left/right?

De-/increasing quote level when you write/reply to an email.

> >> It could be acceptable, but unfortunately, the Command-left/right
> >> shortcut is often harmful, like in a web browser where your leave
> > > the
> >> current page, often losing the text you just typed. And that is
> > > just too
> >> annoying.
> > Exactly. That's why CMD+cursor should remain issuing these
> > back/forward commands and CTRL+cursor doing the cursor navigation.
>
> Huh? I see no way how you could come to this conclusion. It's
> annoying,
> and that's why it should stay that way?

Hmmm. Before Oliver's change CMD+cursor would go back/forward, while
CTRL+cursor would word-jump (if Web+ supported that, which it very
sadly doesn't). Now CMD+cursor will word-jump and a new shortcut will
have to be found for back/forward.
We'll have to change all commands to not include the cursor keys, as
that does the word-jumping now. I find that a big limitation to please
the CMD/CTRL switcher.

> >> If the text control's shortcuts only work when it has focus, I
> > > don't see
> >> a big issue, though.
> > While that may be true in case of the mentioned browser, there's
> > still
> > the risk of unintentionally losing focus. Apps like Mail will always
> > have that issue.
>
> What do you mean by that?

I wrote that thinking of keeping CMD+cursor for back/forward in a
browser. In case a text field had focus, with Oliver's change,
CMD+curser would word-jump. No problem until you accidentally lose that
focus and CMD+cursor has the browser go back/forward again.
In Mail the text has always the focus, so CMD+cursor would always word-
jump now.

> >> It already overrides Command-C/V/X for clipboard
> >> usage in that case, which is the exact same thing.
> >> IOW the command key never consistently issues commands to the app
> > > only.
> > Well, one could see CMD+C/V/X still as being commands to the app
> > that
> > interact with the system's clipboard...
>
> I really can't follow that line of thought :-)
> Imagine a window with two text views. Or even an additional document
> (like a spreadsheet). You will want to have copy/paste functionality
> in
> all controls.

Sure. You wrote the above "It [the textcontrol] already overrides
Command-C/V/X... IOW the command key never consistently issues commands
to the app only" in answer to "That leaves the command key to
consistently issue commands to the app.".
And I say, CMD+C/V/X are perceived as commands to the app to copy/paste
to clipboard. They are even mentioned in most apps' "Edit" menus.

It's all the fault of Windows, of course. Wouldn't they stuff cursor
CONTROL like word-jumping onto the same modifier that issues COMMANDS,
we wouldn't be in this mess. Unfortunately, we currently bend backwards
to accommodate the switchers. We'll remove CMD+curser menu items where
they were very intuitive. Maybe it's because I spent most of my
computing time in BeOS/Haiku for over 10 years, but it does rankle.
Quite a bit.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette