[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:08:22 +0100

2012/11/22, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> As a compromise, Control+left/right could additionally do sub-word
>>> navigation :-)
> I meant so that you could continue to use Ctrl for word navigation,
> while other people can use Alt -- and have both behave slightly
> differently so that you have added value.

True. But it would still eliminate all CMD+cursor commands like in
Mail or Vision.

> It could be acceptable, but unfortunately, the Command-left/right
> shortcut is often harmful, like in a web browser where your leave the
> current page, often losing the text you just typed. And that is just too
> annoying.

Exactly. That's why CMD+cursor should remain issuing these
back/forward commands and CTRL+cursor doing the cursor navigation.

> If the text control's shortcuts only work when it has focus, I don't see
> a big issue, though.

While that may be true in case of the mentioned browser, there's still
the risk of unintentionally losing focus. Apps like Mail will always
have that issue.

> It already overrides Command-C/V/X for clipboard
> usage in that case, which is the exact same thing.
>
> IOW the command key never consistently issues commands to the app only.

Well, one could see CMD+C/V/X still as being commands to the app that
interact with the system's clipboard...

Regards,
Humdinger

     Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette