[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:22:40 +0100

Hi Axel!

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 20:32:09 +0100 Axel DÃrfler wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 03:21 PM, Humdinger wrote:
> > Well, the fix would mean replacing an intuitive shortcut,
> > CMD+cursor,
> > with something less intuitive.
>
> Exactly :-)
> What would be wrong with Option-left/right instead?

Only that amongst all the other commands that are invoked via CMD-key,
those would use OPT.
Plus, currently OPT+cursor moves thru stacked windows. Sure, that could
be changed, but we're running short on sensible keyscombos...

> > Hmmm. Before Oliver's change CMD+cursor would go back/forward,
> > while
> > CTRL+cursor would word-jump (if Web+ supported that, which it very
> > sadly doesn't). Now CMD+cursor will word-jump and a new shortcut
> > will
> > have to be found for back/forward.
>
> Why? In browsers on other platforms a focused text view eats
> cmd+left/right, but only as long as it is focused.

I wouldn't consider that good behaviour either. Or at least we were
able to always be able to go back/forwards without having to
expressedly remove the focus from the text field: CMD+cursor always did
that.
Also, what when we're in the URL locator? Ideally, I'd like to
(sub-)word-jump and be able to go back/forwards without having to change
focus.

> > And I say, CMD+C/V/X are perceived as commands to the app to
> > copy/paste
> > to clipboard. They are even mentioned in most apps' "Edit" menus.
>
> But that menu entry is not necessarily copying/pasting/cutting from a
> text control. It might just paste a bitmap into a WonderBrush
> document,
> but it does not behave that way when the text control to change a
> property has focus.

Sure. It just says "Oi, app! Copy the current selection to the
clipboard / Paste the clipboard into the currently focused object."

> How is that different to the suggested change (once it would be
> completed)?

I don't really see the connection of the C/V/X commands to using the
command-key for word-jumping, thereby losing the use of command+cursor
for other stuff (while a text field has the focus).

> Well, nothing is set into stone yet.

Which is good. It's a bit awkward that the current change made it into
alpha4... oh well.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette